Sunday, January 18, 2009

I'm in Kuwait!!

All,
  I have made it to Kuwait.  Last night's travel issues were a cluster, but we're finally at Arifjan!  Arifjan ROCKS!  There is a freakin' Starbucks here and, get this, you can brush your teeth with the tap water here!  That's right, no "aw shits" b/c you forgot to get the bottle water as you trudge through the gravel in your shower shoes to brush your teeth out in the conex box.  SCHWEET!
 
  We went through a preliminary weapons check today.  Man, they are STRICT on the carbon stuff.  The Q-Tip has to come back white from a pretty thorough wipe down on both my M9 and my M16.  Two hours later (after passing the check), my weapons is giving up carbon on the Q-Tip again.  ugh.
 
  We turn in gear and weapons tomorrow -- NO MORE ALBATROSS AROUND MY NECK (literally, around my neck for the M16).  I can go to the bathroom (head/latrine) or the gym or ANYWHERE without worrying about carrying my weapons or double-locking them or having someone "watch" them for me.  Dude, I'm psyched.
 
  My time is almost up on this computer, so I better go.
 
Love,
Jody

--
"...wrap your arms around your body armor, give it a big embrace, and LEARN TO LOVE THE SUCK!"
  -- Sergeant First Class Jenkins, 13 JUL 08

No comments: