Sunday, August 10, 2008

First Time Driving and First Night Convoy

Last night I got to drive during a convoy for the first time. Just to throw me in the fire, the convoy was at night and with the protection guys that do convoying for a living. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't feeling some stress. Taking barricades at a good clip with an up-armored F-350 truck is challenging. The acceleration is sluggish and the brakes aren't happy (b/c of weight of the armor, not lack of maintenance). Anyway, I managed to keep up with the pros in front of me, but juuuuuuuuuuuust barely. I was either foot on the brakes or accelerator to the floor the entire trip. I had to seasoned convoy guys with me in the truck (wouldn't have done this without them being there).

We didn't get in until nearly midnight. We had some distinguished visitors to meet this morning, so no sleeping in. I went ahead and PT'd at 0530 this morning. I'm pretty wiped now.

I'm starting to learn the lingo around here. I read a lot of powerpoints. I hope to be an actual productive member of the staff sometime in the next couple of days.

No comments: