Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Aggressive Drivers Make Me Twitchy

Today I had a couple of more firsts. Today was my first time in lead vehicle without anyone else in the vehicle who knew the route. There were other people in the car, but they were riders/security, not drivers. That was pretty sporty for me. I didn't mess up any routes, but I did hit some potholes while I was nogginizing about where to turn next. That was on the way up to our destintation.

On the way back, we had a different flavor of sporty. A vehicle with a stubby antenna on his hood (not normal) came in directly behind my #3 vehicle and was staying 2-3 feet off #3's tail. The guy kept trying to get into the middle of our formation (it seemed). He had a couple of chances to use a side road to get around us, but he didn't act like he was passing. If he had wanted to pass, he could have used the side road and we'd have let him by. He kept this up until one of our major checkpoints.

I don't know if he was trying to pass us and being dumb about it, was an angry Afghan wanting to play road-rage with the Americans, trying to hurt us (his car wasn't low to the ground, he wasn't wearing bulky clothes), he thought he'd be safer by traveling in the American group, or he was probing us to determine our tactics. I'm personally going for angry Afghan in a road rage mood. He messed with us for almost 40 minutes. If I had known he was going to be around us, I wouldn't have drunk that coffee at our destination to help stay awake -- he kept us awake just fine.

Good times, hopefully just a snarky dude with a fairly fast car -- that IS the most likely scenario.

No comments: